Ballston was one of the first communities in Arlington to have a school. Originally called Walker School, the school was opened at the Good Templar's Hall in Balls' Cross-Roads the first year the County began sponsoring public school in 1871. After using this space for six years and a small wood-frame school house from 1878 to 1893 the new Ballston School house, pictured here, was opened in 1893. The red-brick, two story Ballston School had the same design as the Hume School which still stands.

This image from 1907 shows Carl Porter and his mother standing in front of Ballston School.

Central United Methodist (4)_Edit.jpg