This steam railroad began as the Alexandria, Loudon, and Hampshire Railroad in the 1850s. The line ran from Alexandria City, up the Four Mile Run Valley, past the Glencarlyn neighborhood (whose stop is pictured) and out to Herndon, Leesburg, and Bluemont. In 1911 the line was taken over by the Washington and Old Dominion Railroad (W&OD) and converted to electric-rail the following year. The W&OD was in service until 1968.

The Glencarlyn stop in pictured here. By 1900 trolley lines linked the new and expanding suburban communities of Glencarlym, Clarendon, Ballston, Cherrydale, Bon Air, and Barcroft. The rail became the fastest and most efficient way to travel within the county and beyond.

Collection: Neighborhoods