The community of Hall's Hill, today called High View Park, was established in 1865 when white land-owner Bazil Hall, hit with hard-times following the Civil War, sold lots of his land to formerly enslaved African Americans. From these beginnings Hall's Hill became a thriving black community.
Local community institutions of note include Glebe Elementary School, Langston Brown Community Center, Calloway United Methodist Church, and Fire Station #8, Arlington's first African American fire company. Hall's Hill is one of the few remaining African American neighborhoods in Arlington. During the mid-twentieth century, the bordering white community built a cinder-block wall around Hall's Hill to physical separate themselves from their black neighbors during formal, legalized residential segregation. Pieces of that wall remain.
The community is bounded North by Lee Highway, East by Glebe Road, South by 17th Street North, and West by George Mason Drive. This map shows the growing community in 1900.