Hatemonger Hill

Description:

The American Nazi Party was founded in Arlington County by George Rockwell in 1958. The Arlington chapter of the American Nazi Party had 50 to 60 members active in the late-1950s and early-1960s. Most of these members lived together in a late-Victorian home they used as a barracks on Wilson Boulevard in Clarendon. Local sympathizers not directly affiliated with the group showed their support by bringing the men food to this home during the winter. While some residents complained of the “sieg heil” salutes given by their new neighbors in greeting, the Nazis did not actually break any community or county laws. Many came to call this property "Hatemonger Hill."

Collection:

Civil Rights


Date:

ca. 1960

Creator:

None recorded.

Source:

Herman Obermayer, "The Wilson Boulevard Property", Northern Virginia Sun. Courtesy of the Nieman Foundation for Journalism, Harvard University.

Subject

None recorded.

Identifier

None recorded.

Contributor

None recorded.

Rights

No known restrictions. Rights assessments are your responsibility.

Citation

“Hatemonger Hill,” Built By the People Themselves, accessed July 14, 2024, https://lindseybestebreurtje.org/arlingtonhistory/items/show/53.

Geolocation

Hatemonger Hill.jpg