The End of Passenger Rail Service

Description:

This image shows East Falls Church Station on May 31, 1951, the last day of passenger service. This stop was originally opened as a part of the Washington, Arlington & Falls Church line in 1901 and became a part of the Washington-Virginia Railroad in 1913. The line had been in financial trouble since the 1920s as commuters increasingly turned to automobiles for travel. After a brief resurgence in use and support during World War Two, the line finally ended its passenger service in 1951.

Collection:

Neighborhoods


Date:

May 31, 1951

Creator:

E. S. Miller (photo)

Source:

Vertical File, "Transportation: Railroads, Washington & Old Dominion," Center for Local History, Central Library, Arlington, Virginia.

Subject

None recorded.

Identifier

None recorded.

Contributor

None recorded.

Rights

All rights reserved.

Citation

E. S. Miller (photo), “The End of Passenger Rail Service,” Built By the People Themselves, accessed May 20, 2024, https://lindseybestebreurtje.org/arlingtonhistory/items/show/24.

Geolocation

EastFallsChurchStation1951.JPG