Arlington Branch NAACP
In June of 1918 the first rural branch of the NAACP formed in Falls Church with the express goals of working against discrimination and segregation. Support for the NAACP and its causes continued to expand until Arlington County could support a separate dedicated branch in 1940 with 71 members. The branch would continue to grow and soon became one of the largest branches in the state. The organization worked to combat de jure and de facto discrimination, and was particularly active in battling Arlington's school segregation in the courts throughout the 1940s and 1950s. Thanks to this dedication on February 2, 1959 Arlington's Stratford Junior High School, pictured here, became the first school in the state of Virginia to integrate.
Warren K. Leffler, photographer. [Students and buses outside Stratford Junior High School on opening day, Arlington, Virginia]. Sept. 1, 1959. Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2013651424/.
RightsNo known restrictions. Rights assessments are your responsibility.
“Arlington Branch NAACP,” Built By the People Themselves, accessed March 28, 2023, http://lindseybestebreurtje.org/arlingtonhistory/items/show/82.