Queen City was a working class African American community founded in 1892. Like many African American neighborhoods, Queen City was formed as a result of the closing of Freedman's Village contraband camp, which was the area's largest African American community following the Civil War.
The neighborhood was located along Columbia Pike. Residents chose this site for their new community because it was the location of the Mt. Olive Baptist Church, whose congregation can trace its roots to Freedman's Village. Original residents built simple clapboard homes and grew subsistence crops on their small plots of land.
In 1942 the neighborhood was demolished by the federal government to make way for roads associated with the War Department's Pentagon building. This image was taken just before the community was lost. Mt. Olive can be seen on the left.