Arlington Experimental Farm
On land which had once been Arlington Tract Farms, the farming portion of the Freedman’s Village community, the Department of Agriculture created an expansive farm for testing new crops and farming techniques. Known as the Experimental Farm, this facility was created in 1913 between the Butler-Holmes and Johnson’s Hill’s communities. The farm provided Arlingtonians the opportunity to continue to work as farmers long after the region changed from rural to suburban. In 1940 the farm relocated to Maryland to make room for the War Department's building project, which would ultimately use other nearby land upon which to build the Pentagon.