Freedman's Village

Description:

This woodcut, featured in Harper's Weekly in 1864, depicts Freedman's Village. A contraband camp established on the grounds of Arlington House, Robert E. Lee's plantation, Freedman's Village was Arlington's first all black community as well as its first successful pre-planned community. Here formerly enslaved men, women, and children learned trades, attended school, established churches, and create a thriving African American community. When the Village was formally closed by the federal government in 1900 it lead to the establishment of many other black communities in Arlington through the Freedman's Village diaspora.

Collection:

Neighborhoods


Date:

May 7, 1864

Creator:

None recorded.

Subject

None recorded.

Identifier

None recorded.

Contributor

None recorded.

Rights

No known restrictions.

Citation

“Freedman's Village,” Built By the People Themselves, accessed November 14, 2018, http://lindseybestebreurtje.org/arlingtonhistory/items/show/41.

Geolocation

FreedmansVillage.jpg